Transfer Student Check List for Prospective Communication Majors
While transferring to the U can be an exciting time, we understand it may also be
confusing. To better understand the key components of transferring and becoming a
Communication major, follow each of these steps to guide you through this process.
Step 1: Research What Coursework Will Transfer to the U
- Transfers from Utah institutions: learn how your credits will transfer.
- SLCC students: COMM 3060 Transfer Interest Group (TIG) is an optional Spring class for SLCC students interested in transferring to the U. To enroll simply
attend the first class at SLCC. (The cost is $300, paid in class directly to the instructor.)
- Students that are transferring from SLCC may also reference this Transfer Information Sheet for additional information regarding the transfer process, including a list of articulated
- All prospective transfer students with questions about the admission process and general education: contact the Transfer Center at University College, 801-581-8146.
- All prospective transfer students with questions about the Communication major: Communication Academic Advising
Step 2: Apply for Admission
- Submit online application
- Pay the application fee
- Have all college transcripts sent to the Admissions Office
Step 3: Complete Requirements for Registration
- Attend Transfer Orientation
To be able to register for classes, all new students are required to attend an Orientation.
Communication classes fill up quickly, so as soon as you are admitted to the University
sign up for the first available Orientation. We encourage students to rearrange their
schedules as necessary to attend the earliest date available.
- Meet with an Academic Advisor
In addition to attending orientation, new transfer students must also meet with an
Academic Advisor to be able to register for classes. You will be taken to see your
advisor towards the end of orientation to fulfill the advising requirement in a group
advising session. If you would like more individualized time to go over what courses
and requirements you have remaining you can meet with an advisor prior to orientation.
Please be aware that meeting with an advisor prior to orientation will not allow you
to register earlier, you must also attend orientation to be cleared to register.
Step 4: Declare Your Major
- Have Communication transfer courses applied to your Communication major requirements.
The Admissions Office will evaluate all of your coursework to determine which classes
will transfer to the U. The Department of Communication may accept up to four transfer
Communication courses to apply towards your major requirements.
- Declare the Communication major after you have completed at least one Communication class at the University of Utah
with a C or better and have a GPA of at least 2.75.
- Follow up on additional information and opportunities for Communication majors.